Studies underway for the $ 150M Mandeville retirement community project


Plans for a $ 150 million lakeside retirement community in Mandeville are still in their infancy, but locals are optimistic it will receive more support than previous large-scale proposals. for the region.

The project, announced in July as part of a partnership between New Orleans-based real estate developer Woodward Interests and the LSU Health Foundation, would include public and private amenities such as restaurants, retail, rehabilitation of ‘an existing marina, a charming hotel and apartments for seniors. The development would be based on 29 acres donated by the Al Copeland family, adjacent to the Mariners Village neighborhood.

LSU Health Foundation President and CEO Matt Altier said market research is underway for age-restricted hotels and the retirement community, and these studies will dictate the overall size of the project and the number of units. Design and construction would be handled by Woodward Design + Build, he said.

Courtesy of LSU Health Foundation

Altier said there could be an associated health clinic designed either with the project or immediately next to the site. The facility would be affiliated with LSU, with a marketing plan focused on LSU alumni with college events, potential continuing education programs, and geriatric care training for LSU health students. If there were any vacancies after alumni, Altier said, the clinic would be open to the public with defined criteria, which have yet to be developed.

The development would be under a ground lease structure, and Altier said 60% of the proceeds would be used by the LSU Health Foundation for cancer research, according to the wishes of property donor, Al Copeland Jr. The remaining 40% would be used by the LSU Health Foundation for cancer research. dedicated to LSU Health Foundation scholarships and programs.

Mandeville City Councilor Skelly Kreller, who represents the area, said the project had to go through the city’s Planning and Zoning Commission and then through city council. Kreller doesn’t expect this process to begin until next summer or fall, as marketing and feasibility studies will need to determine the scope of the work first.

Kreller doesn’t anticipate the same issues that plagued Port Marigny, a project adjacent to the retirement community site that was proposed several years ago. The owners, Drs. Michael and Marcus Pittman, had wanted to transform the old prestressed concrete property into a hotel, marina, retail space and restaurants.

The community’s reaction came from traffic problems in what opponents called a densely populated area. According to an online listing from Stirling Properties, the site is now up for sale for $ 16 million.

Kreller said the retirement community will not have the same density and traffic problems because residents will not have vehicles or will be driving during low traffic hours. Kreller expects the developers to have a contract with a carpooling service for residents.

Kreller added that infrastructure upgrades and work would be needed on Monroe Street, where it connects with US 190.

“It’s a win-win for everyone,” he said. “The majority of people in my district want this to happen. “

Eric McVicker, president of the Mariners Village Master Association, said the initial feedback he received from members of his homeowners associations and surrounding area was positive as the development fits into the neighborhood and town of Mandeville. Although earlier projects, such as Port Marigny, have met with strong opposition, residents see the opportunity with the retiree community and its allied components and speak out in favor of the issue when it comes to the Commission. town planning and zoning and to city council, he said.

“Comparing Port Marigny to this new development is like comparing apples to Ferraris,” said McVicker. “These are two completely different projects. What I will say about this project is that there is a developer, funding and vision.

St. Tammany Corporation, the parish’s economic development group, is also participating in the project. The organization’s CEO Chris Masingill said it would make a significant contribution to the local economy due to its mixed-use nature and the population of the area.

According to figures from the 2020 U.S. Census, approximately one-third of the population of St. Tammany Parish is over 55, and 19% of residents are over 65. older age group will continue to represent one-third of the parish population by 2030.

While Louisiana has grown only 2.7% since 2010, St. Tammany Parish was the fourth fastest in Louisiana, adding 13.2% of population, and was one of 13 parishes to overtake the state rate. Covington increased by 32%, Mandeville increased its population by 14% and Slidell by 6%, statistics show.

“We believe this project can have a significant impact not only for St. Tammany Parish, but for the entire North Shore,” said Masingill.


Comments are closed.